Friday 25 April 2014

When The Whatsapp Bug Bites

The title of this post reminds me of a scene from a movie called 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' (2008).  Quite unusual, and a little ironic, I think, that humans are often the cause of their own destruction, brought about by mindless conduct and selfishness.  (Sorry for the run-on sentence.  I'm just writing as the words come to me,and that doesn't happen very often.)  To make a long story a little interesting, in the movie, these nano-machine self-replicating bug-like things set out to destroy all of mankind and man-made items.  (Ack.  No cellphones.  Makes you feel bad, doesn't it?)  Only non-human entities like plants and grass are spared.  (I really wonder what they would've done upon encountering a genetically modified ultra-humongous tomato.)

So, yeah, bugs aside....what in the world do we do about WhatsApp?!

(Okay, I admit this wasn't a very endearing introduction.)

It's actually a good thing to have happened to the human race--ingenuity, inventiveness, ingenuity (wait, did I already say that?) were brought to the fore--and well, it does have a whole lot of benefits.  Most of us don't need money (I guess) to use it and the amount you have to pay annually after one year of usage, is, frankly, not a whole lot.  (After three to five years, Facebook is actually going to start earning profits from this thing.  Sweet.)


But then, you say, why are you writing this post if you have absolutely nothing to complain about?  


The truth is:  I have a lot to rant about in here.  


A.  As far as I've understood, WhatsApp developers/ owners expect users to explore on their own how to turn off that perturbing 'last seen' (fancy word = timestamp) feature.  


B.  Before this, my phone didn't 'ping' so much.  Huge problem.  


C.  When you're online, the whole world sees you're online.  No privacy whatsoever.  What if you don't want to talk to that kid who spilled Coke all over your super-expensive Nike running shoes today, right?


D.  This should be on the top of the list: Whatsapp eats up a lot of your phone memory.  And then you have to delete all those precious text messages that you actually had to pay to send.  Poor you.  Me.  Everybody.


E.   (Everybody said that anybody could do...the important things somebody should do...everybody said that anybody could do...all the good things that nobody did!)


Sorry about that.  It's just that I thought it would kind of fit well in here.   


This: In WhatsApps' official FAQ:

- (one check) message successfully delivered to the server.
- (two checks) message successfully delivered to the phone of your chat partner.
And I thought two check marks meant somebody had read my message.  Ludicrous.  Ridiculous.


Anyway, I don't want to puncture the atmosphere out here, but I have to go, and now I will....See You On The Next Post!  Goodbye and good night!








P.S. I've added Disqus comments on here.  Please click on the time-stamp near the end of the post to comment.  (If you don't have a Disqus account, you can still comment as a guest with a custom name.) Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like it very much
If you left a comment
Making people write down stuff
Means a day well spent!

~The Comment Mafia

~ migration.

Dear Reader, (If anyone has happened to chance upon this rather not-so-very-secret diary of mine) it is my simultaneous pleasure and occa...